The second motorcycle to be treated in the Restoration Workshop at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, VSB-TU Ostrava, was Jawa 350 SV. This machine was supposed to build on the achievements of the popular Jawa 175 while filling the gap in the market and replacing the costly Jawa 500. Development of the motorcycle began in 1931 and the new engine was designed from the very beginning so that the SV cylinder could be replaced by the OHV cylinder. From 1934 to 1936, a total of 2,004 pieces of Jawa 350 SV were produced.
Initial inspections of this motorcycle provided to determine the direction and scope of the work confirmed not only its poor technical condition but also visual inconsistencies from machines of the given time. At the time the motorcycle was taken over by our workshop, it was immobile, and there were also noticeable signs of unskilled repairs. Another problem was the black coat of paint applied to many parts of the motorcycle. Also, in this case, taking into account that this motorcycle will be displayed among other exhibits in the Tatra Trucks Museum in Kopřivnice, it was decided to restore it following the principles of the Charter of Turin.
The work of experts in the Restoration Workshop and external collaborators took approximately six hundred hours. The reward for all is a functional machine with an adequate appearance, which guarantees its high historical value. It was the restoration of the damaged, unprofessionally modified and colour-impaired bodywork that has become the most demanding work. It was necessary to gently remove layers of black paint and retouch the damaged pats to obtain the original painting, including preserving details, e.g. in the form of lines.