Skip to main content
Skip header

The Jawa 250 motorcycle, produced between 1934 and 1946, was the first task of the newly established Restoration Workshop at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, VSB-TU Ostrava. This motorcycle has a very simple design. Since 1930, an excellent motorcycle racer and designer Mr George William Patchett was involved in its development. A total of 14,000 pieces of Jawa 250 were produced by 1946.

The very first glance at the motorcycle before the repairs started, showed that its technical condition was very unsatisfactory, both for road traffic and for further preservation of this vehicle. Following the original state and recommendations of the Charter of Turin, it was decided that this motorcycle will not be only renovated but restored. This meant preserving its original features and patina, of course, with the maximum use of available original parts,  and maintaining its safety and reliability as a means of transport.

The condition set for its operability was the reason for a single departure from the requirements of the Charter of Turin, as it was decided to restore the motorcycle to reach the same condition as when it had left the factory, i.e. provide a partial change of this motorcycle due to the removal of all partial modifications done by previous owners. This was particularly true of later modifications done to the front headlight, carburettor, side boxes and tandem saddle (carrier).

Jawa 250 (1939) - before restoration
Jawa 250 (1939) - after restoration

Technical parameters of the motorcycle:

Production 1934 – 1940; 1945 – 1946
Engine air-cooled two-stroke single cylinder
248 cm3 (ø 63 x 80 mm; bore x stroke)
Capacity 6,6 kW (9 k) at 3 850 min-1
Clutch dry friction multi-disc clutch
Gear primary - roller chain in oil bath
secondary – roller chain
Gearbox three-speed separated transition, Albion design
Shifting manual right-hand shifting: lever on the gearbox or on the tank (possible to convert it for foot shifting)
Frame pressed from steel sheet
Dimensions length - 1 930 mm
width - 740 mm
height - 950 mm
wheelbase - 1 255 mm
ground clearance - 130 mm
saddle height - 630 ÷ 660 mm
Weight 95 kg
Maximum speed 100 km·h-1
Fuel consumption 3 ÷ 4 l for 100 km
Purchase cost 5 490 CZK (in 1939)